Theft + Fraud
Theft, Fraud and White Collar Crime in Canberra
Understanding How a Fraud Law Firm in Canberra Can Provide Assistance
When should you enlist the assistance of a fraud law firm in Canberra? Quite simply, s soon as you believe you are under investigation or will face charges for such a crime. The same is true for offences that do not rise to the same level of “white collar” crime, such as robbery and burglary. Each charge is potentially severe and can carry hefty fines and extended gaol time. However, especially concerning fraud, these cases place a heavy burden of proof on the prosecution. There are many disparate elements that the opposition must prove beyond a reasonable doubt to establish guilt and for these reasons; your representation matters.
The Importance of Partnering with Fraud Defence Lawyers in Canberra
Why is securing representation now so critical?
- Even first-time fraud offenders can face gaol time while charges relating to “dishonesty offences” can have long-term effects on employability in many industries.
- There are many elements to establishing that you committed fraud; the prosecution must, for example, prove that you had the deceptive intent to deprive another of goods or funds permanently. A good lawyer can help formulate defences that poke holes in these theories.
What You Should Know About Working with a Theft Defence Lawyer
If you’ve never spoken with a criminal lawyer in the past, you may not know what to expect. Some things to keep in mind include:
- There are always slow periods punctuated by flurries of activity. The legal system moves in stops and starts, so be prepared for your case to take some time. However, your lawyer should always be able to inform you of the current situation.
- Be prepared to share as much information as possible relating to your circumstances. Sometimes, even details that initially seem insignificant may have an important role to play in establishing a defence for fraud or theft.
Common Concerns a Robbery Defence Lawyer in Canberra Can Help to Address
Feeling uneasy and afraid of what the future holds is a common reaction, especially when facing charges that could severely impact your ability to find and keep a job in the future. Lawyers can help you to understand:
- The exact type of consequences you may face, what mitigating circumstances there may be to explore, and what the long-term ramifications will be.
- How to prepare for court and what to expect from each step of the proceedings. Your appearance in court is important, even though your counsel will speak on your behalf. Your lawyer can help you understand what steps to take.
Preparing for Your Visit to a Burglary Defence Lawyer in Canberra
Just as appearing in court can feel daunting if you have never done it before, reaching out to connect with a lawyer can be a scary moment, too. At McKenna Taylor, we make it our mission to put our clients at ease from the moment you engage our services — our lawyers want you to know you’re in good hands. Here’s how you can prepare for your first consultation:
- Gather all the facts. Prepare to explain your situation, any interactions you may have had with the police, and to answer some questions to allow us to understand where to begin.
- Relax. This is a stressful time in your life, and it can be challenging to focus on anything else. However, put your energy into the solutions-focused process we employ in our law firm as we work together for a better outcome.
The complexity of fraud cases makes it all the more important to secure representation from fresh legal minds and a fraud defence lawyer capable of the agility and creativity necessary to engineer a robust defence on your behalf. The ability to carefully examine all the facts is fundamental to building a valid defence. Though facing charges can be disruptive, a structured approach can help restore balance.